One of the developers of the highly-anticipated No Man's Sky says he has received death threats over a six-week delay in the release of his game.
Confirming last week's rumour, Hello Games developer Sean Murray wrote on the PlayStation Blog that "some key moments needed extra polish," and that as a result, the space exploration game would release on August 9th, rather than the original date of June 21st.
"We understand that this news is disappointing," wrote Murray; "we hope you’ll accept our sincere apology and I am humbly asking that you’ll still look forward to exploring our universe despite the slight delay."
Following the announcement, Murray says he received death threats from gamers angry about the delay.
I have received loads of death threats this week, but don't worry, Hello Games now looks like the house from Home Alone #pillowfort— Sean Murray (@NoMansSky) May 28, 2016
Additionally, Kotaku's Jason Schreier - who initially broke the story of the delay - received threats as well.
What it's like to write about video games on the internet: pic.twitter.com/a4yRcGMbsA— Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) May 27, 2016
No Man's Sky's enormous, procedurally generated universe and planet-hopping gameplay have sparked great enthusiasm amongst gamers since its reveal in 2013.
It will now release for PC and PS4 on August 9th.