It's no secret that Hello Games' No Man's Sky is one of the most divisive games of the generation. Prior to it's release in 2016, the game reached monumental levels of hype with gamers. For many of us, it looked like it would be the game we'd dreamt of playing for most of our gaming years.
Sadly the game did not really live up to expectations. In our review we gave the game a 6/10 and stated "No Man's Sky was never going to live up to the hype, but sadly even those with tempered expectations are likely to be somewhat disappointed. It is by no means a terrible game, it just feels unfinished and empty."
Followed by mostly mediocre reviews and angry outspoken fans, it wouldn't have been a surprise if Sean Murray and Hello Games had disappeared from the gaming world entirely. Thankfully, Hello Games stuck around and doubled down on its efforts to expand on No Man's Sky and bring the game closer to what many hoped it would be from the beginning.
With several big changes already implemented, No Man's Sky is definitely not the shell of a game it was nearly two years ago. The upcoming addition of the game's Next Update, finally brings full multiplayer and allows you to team up with fellow explorers so the long journey doesn't feel quite so lonely.
Another great addition in the Next update is the option to now play the game in a third person view. This, combined with being able to customise your own character, build massive shelters with friends and command a battalion of freighters should be more than enough to pique players interest once again.
Below you'll find a list of some of the changes Hello Games is implementing in the Next update:
- Team up a small team of friends and explore the universe together, or be joined by random travelers.
You can help friends to stay alive, or prey on others to survive.
Tiny shelters or complex colonies that you build as a team are shared for all players.
Fight as a pirate or a wingman in epic space battles with friends and enemies.
Race exocraft across weird alien terrains, creating race tracks and trails to share online.
Character customisation allows you to personalise your appearance.
- The game is fully playable in third or first person, both on-foot and in ship.
- Planetary rings and improved space visuals make space more beautiful than ever.
- Dramatically improved planetary terrain generation, ground textures, water and clouds bring the environment to life.
- Significantly more detail added to ships, NPCs and buildings.
Unlimited Base Building
- Bases can now be built anywhere on any planet.
- Dramatically increased base building complexity and size limits.
- Hundreds of new base parts.
- Own multiple bases.
- Assemble and upgrade a fleet of frigates and command them from the bridge of your freighter.
- Send your fleet out to into the universe, or deploy them to help you as you explore a specific system.
- Improved freighter base building allows a truly custom capital ship.
- Invite your friends aboard and take on challenging multiplayer missions from the Galactic Commission Station on your bridge.
I've personally sunk about one hundred and fifty hours into the space exploration of No Man's Sky and can't wait to see what else is in store when the Next Update drops on July 24.
Will you be hoping back in to check out No Man's Sky once the new update arrives or is it too little too late for you? Let me know in the comments below!
Pre-order No Man's Sky on Xbox One at Mighty Ape for release day delivery.
We sometimes include links to Mighty Ape in our articles. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission which helps to support us and keep Gameplanet alive.